Resource Conservation and Earth Monitoring
John D. Furber[John D. Furber home page]
- Global Ecovillage is a team of architects and designers who are creating sustainable human settlements throughout the world. http://globalecovillage.com/index1.htm
- The Rocky Mountain Institute, in Colorado, was founded by Hunter and Amory Lovins. Their consulting group helps companies to save money by conserving resources and reducing waste. Their analyses tie together Public Policy, Private Economics, and Appropriate Technologies. You can find many of their analyses detailed in their excellent publications.
- The Collective Heritage Institute conducts the annual Bioneers Conference to teach "Visionary and Practical Solutions for Restoring the Earth." http://www.bioneers.org
- EPA Automobile Fuel Efficiency (mpg) Tests. You can compare fuel efficiency when choosing a car to buy or rent. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
- The World Game Institute was founded by Buckminster Fuller to organize workshops and train designers.
- The Biosphere 2 Center is a large, closed ecosystem built in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Oracle, Arizona, with funding from Ed Bass. It is now operated by Columbia University as a laboratory for environmental research and graduate student training.
- The Carnegie-Mellon Green Design Initiative has an interactive web site which uses an Economic Input/Output Life Cycle Assessment (EIOLCA) model to calculate environmental impacts (resource consumption and pollution) generated by producing various consumer goods and services, such as automobiles.
- The San Francisco Institute of Architecture is "a new kind of school for Architecture and Ecological Design," located in San Francisco, California.
- Aquaconsult is an irrigation consulting business operated by Stephen V. Allison. They specialize in water-conserving agricultural technologies and renewable energy sources.
- Earthships are energy-efficient houses and buildings built with recycled materials.
Renewable Energy, Hydrogen, Fuel Cells
- The Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Network (EREN) web site of the US Department of Energy has links to many resources, and offers free subscription to the weekly email newsletter EREN News.
- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, is operated by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Trends in Renewable Energies, published by the Canadian Association for Renewable Energies, concise, up-to-date news stories and web links on Energy Policy, Solar Energy, Hydrogen Fuel Cells, etc.
- The Fuel Cells 2000 web site contains many resources and links related to fuel cells.
- An introduction to fuel cell technology in PDF format is published by the Los Alamos National Laboratory http://education.lanl.gov/resources/fuelcells.
- The HyWeb web site in Germany contains review articles and news related to hydrogen fuel cells.
- International Fuel Cells is a division of United Technologies Corporation (UTC). They have supplied fuel cell power systems to NASA's manned space program. IFC is involved in both automotive and bus fuel cell applications.
- GE MicroGen fuel cells for home use by General Electric.
- Windmission of Denmark is a small Danish company which manufactures windmills for electricity generation.
- The U.S. Energy Information Administration web site contains statistics and reports on energy resource production and consumption.
- Real Goods has been selling products for sustainable living since 1978. They have a mail order catalog, web site, and physical stores in California and Oregon. The Tenth Edition of their Solar Living Sourcebook (562 pp.) is a very worthwhile guide to methods and products.
- Mr. Solar sells solar energy equipment by mail order, and can send you an informative email newsletter upon request.
- SolarAccess.com designs and sells photovoltaic solar electric systems. Their web site has news on solar and renewable energy. They also offer a free email newsletter.
Environmental Protection and Conservation
- The Earth Island Institute is an environmental education organization founded by David Brower.
- EPA -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is the pricipal agency of the United States Government charged with implementing federal environmental laws.
- TOXNET, by the National Library of Medicine, is an index to 19 toxicology databases.
- The Environmental Mutagen Society (EMS) is the primary scientific society fostering research on the basic mechanisms of mutagenesis as well as on the application of this knowledge in the field of genetic toxicology.
- Pesticide Information and microphotographic images of pesticide crystals by Molecular Expressions and The Florida State University.
- Living On Earth is a weekly Public Radio show with news and features about the Environment, Pollution, and Restoration. It is produced by WGBH in Boston.
- The Earth and Sky radio series has a web site with information on current sights in the night sky, and short articles about the natural environment here on Earth.
- Hays Cummins Tropical Ecosystems: Coral Reefs, Rainforests, Weather, Earth Science from Miami University in Ohio http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/html/index.html
- The movie, RedFish BlueFish is "a symbolic river journey through our stream of consciousness of past and present ideas. White-water kayaking and stunning time-lapse photography guide us to the connected fluid reality of Rene Descartes. In contrast, straight lined structures and dams of separation represent the numerically divided world of Sir Isaac Newton. The purpose of the film is to bring public awareness to the issue of mass extinction and the philosophies underlying our current crisis." Length: 50 minutes.
- CERES -- The Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies.
- Environmental Defense (formerly EDF, Environmental Defense Fund) has been using the legal system to fight pollution in the courts and inform the public since 1967.
- Greenpeace International.
- Rainforest Information Centre.
- Sierra Club home page.
- Asteroid and Comet Impact Prevention Information and links including Near-Earth Objects. Compiled by John D. Furber.
- Recycler's World has links to an extensive variety of recyclers including used auto parts.
- Clean Air Initiatives
Earth Monitoring, Geography, Mapping, Near-Earth Space Environment.Sierra Club Global Warming and Energy Program.SpaceWeather.com has Science news and information about the Sun-Earth environment including Near Earth Objects. http://science.nasa.gov/ and http://spacescience.com/ and http://www.ThursdaysClassroom.com/ present space science news stories from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).ESA/NASA SOHO orbiting solar observatory http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/See a launch from the Kennedy Space Center http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/html/see_launch.htmlAsteroid and Comet Impact Prevention Information and links including Near-Earth Objects. Compiled by John D. Furber.Official U.S. TimeWorld Time Zones and current time.
Contact information:John D. Furber
E-mail: johnfurber at aol.com
[John D. Furber home page]
© 2000 - 2003 by John D. Furber. All rights Reserved.